Pride

Everything about Pride month fills me with joy. The creativity, the colour, the spirit, the inclusivity; it's such a powerful and significant time of the year, and as I get older I feel the significance to me, in the UK and around the world grows each year too.

Last weekend was host to Cambridge's first Pride parade and festival and was actually my first Pride too. The glorious June weather (rain and wind) wasn't going to stop me from showing my support and love for the LGBTQ+ community in my hometown and beyond, so I dug out my most colourful clothes and makeup, put them all together and ended up looking like a cute Pride-supporting traffic light and felt GREAT.


With the horrific news of the attack of gay couple Melania and Chris in London last week, it's evident that Pride is still very much something to be bold and shout about (despite claims that abuse, discrimination and inequality is a 'thing of the past' - spoiler, it's not.) The couple were subject to homophobic and misogynistic (ah - a double-whammy!) abuse whilst minding their own business on a London night bus.

The fact it took a nationwide viral news story for people to talk about this kind of abuse is concerning - especially when so many unreported hate-crimes towards the LGBTQ+ community happen every. single. day. to people who are just being themselves and loving who they want. Many say it's a generational problem, but the men that have been arrested for this attack range from 15 to 18 years old. It's a problem of ignorance, lack of education and simple hatred - regardless of generation.

Jacket: M&S (charity shop find) / Knit: charity shop find / Jeans: Primark (similar here) / Belt: Asos / Boots: Dr Marten's / Earrings: Chunky Resin

The volume and vibrancy of support is powerful, and Pride should continue be celebrated at the incredible momentum it currently is (without fear of 'forcing it down people's throats', yawn to that theory). Dressing bold and doing your makeup in bright colours isn't going to stop the discrimination and abuse, but making an effort to support Pride in any way you can is a start.


If there are any influential people or brands on social media (or beyond) who I should be following, please send them my way. Quick shoutout to two I already follow. I'm lucky enough to be a brand ambassador for Chunky Resin, who has created these rainbow double-tiered hearts for June with 75% of the profits going to Kaleidoscope Trust. Realm Designs (another sustainable clothing & accessories company offering fab crocheted, upcycled products) are also donating 10% of profits of their rainbow items to the LGBT Foundation. GREAT stuff.




Tomorrow is June 1st, which marks the beginning of Pride Month. 2019 also marks fifty years since the Stonewall Riots! Recently I’ve seen that big companies are forgetting that pride is not only a celebration, but is still very much a protest for LGBTQ+ people! You guys have been asking me to bring back the rainbow petites and two tiers for a long time: this month they will be back, and I will be donating 75% off their profits to Kaleidoscope, a trust that fights for the rights of LGBTQ+ people not only in the UK but around the globe. I’ll be highlighting a few interesting accounts that discuss LGBTQ+ activism and intersectionality, and further educating myself as well! This is only a tiny thing, but any sort of donation helps! More info about Kaleidoscope and what they do is available on their site below! ❤️ www.kaleidoscopetrust.com ❤️ 👉🏻 www.chunkyresin.co.uk [link in bio] . . . .#earrings #jewelrymakers #jewelrymaker #handmadejewellery #earringshop #jewellery #earringsoftheday #jewelry #jewelrydesigner #onlineshop #satisfying #bigcartel #resin #chunkyresin #cute #heart #pink #statementearrings #statement #fashion #new #independent #indieshop #rainbow
A post shared by chunkyresin (@chunkyresin) on
There is so much more I could say (and also learn) about LGBTQ+ rights & Pride month, and like many, I'm keen to keep the conversation going. For information on specific charities and organisations to support, I'll leave you with the link to this article from Pink News who compile 10 pretty nicely.

Thanks for reading !


No comments:

Post a Comment