The Room Refresh

Recently, I've really got into interiors. Being nearly 20 and still living at home, while many of my friends gained their own space and independence moving away to uni, I found refreshing my space at home and making it almost my sanctuary was something I wanted to do to.

My parents and brother moved to this house when I was a few months old, so it's the only home I've ever known. I've always had the same box-room and I've been rather indecisive over the years about how my bedroom looks. It's small and cosy, but that's often brought difficulty when decorating or switching up my furniture. For the colour of my walls, I went through the obvious pink and purple girly stages when I was really young, then onto pale-green walls which I deemed to make the space more grown-up. I've experimented with different coloured walls and even bold wallpaper, but now have decided on the ever-so-popular clean, simplistic, white-painted option.

With my newly refreshed room, I've been inspired by Scandinavian interior design and retro styles, as well as features from modernity when choosing artwork, decor and furniture.

Furniture



One of the best places I found to buy nice bits from was HomeSense. Here, I found my (almost) matching dressing table (which I think is actually more of a console table, but works so well in my small space) and bed-side table. I love the blue colour of the bedside table and how the colour of each piece is paired with the wooden legs. As someone with alot of make-up, I wanted to protect my shiny new white dressing table, and so bought some made-to-measure perspex in this gorgeous raspberry colour and I love how this adds a contrasting and fun new colour to the space.




As my darling friend Esther put it: 'Meet the house plants'...


I've also really got into house-plants and wanted to fill my room with greenery this time round. Originally, I wanted all artificial plants and succulents, as I was afraid of not being able to properly look after real ones. However, upon discovering artificial plants that don't look too obviously fake cost way more than prettier, real ones, I ended up in Homebase. I chose a small money-tree plant, a succulent (which came with the white pot for a fiver) and my favourite, a tall rubberplant which I got for a mere £7. The plant stand and pot which displays it in all it's glory was a find in Homesense and I love how it looks next to my full-length mirror.

I do have 2 artificial plants amongst these, both were gifts from relatives for Christmas just-gone, and I think they fit in pretty nicely. I believe the tall grass-plant (shown below) was from Homesense (I popped this in this orange pot from Homebase and I love the vibrancy it gives), and the smaller one in the stone pot was from Amazon.



The smaller plants are displayed on a new shelf I decided to put up. I bought the gold brackets online and love how they make a boring black shelf look contemporary and stylish. The shelf itself is a cheap piece of shelf-board I picked up from B&Q and I'm really happy with how it, with the plants, fills the space above my dressing table.

On the walls

Over to what I've chosen to fill my white blank-canvas walls with. Previously, I'd covered them in blue-tacked-on pieces of art relating to my favourite musicians and bands, and photographs of friends and family. I have kept a section of my wall like this; it displays all of my favourite photographs I've taken at gigs mixed in with some of the original tickets for those gigs.




These prints are part of a set-of-four from graphic artist Lisa Bengtsson. The ones I chose are 'Spring' and 'Summer', them being my favourite seasons and favourite pieces from the small series. The other two pieces - you guessed it - 'Autumn' and 'Winter', I also loved and would've picked up if I had more wall-space to work with. I'm super happy with how these look, especially in the minimal frames I picked up from Amazon.

The final print I decided to frame is an A4, vibrant art piece from independent freelance illustrator Ella Masters. I'm not usually a fan of quotes and inspirational images, but this one really caught my eye. The quote, 'Live what you love' is simple and to-the-point, and isn't so obvious as it's surrounded by a beautiful bold floral design. I chose to frame it with a gold frame to break up the black abit, as it's displayed between the black-framed mirror and black shelf. Check out ella masters studio for some of her other gorgeous designs.



My round mirror is probably one of my favourite new additions to my room. I picked it up on eBay an absolutely love the steel frame and artisan design. To tie in with that, I also picked up a dressing-table mirror in a curved rectangle shape with a similar-style frame.


The pops of black continue on the wire grid notice board which I've displayed above my bed. I found these to be pretty pricey - I saw one on Urban Outfitters for about £40 - but searched the internet and found this pack of two (which I've displayed side-by-side) for a reasonable price. On here I've decided to display some floral art images and old band-artwork prints which I'd previously had blu-tacked up, alongside some art from Noel Fielding, and portraits of my favourite drag queens. The pegs are actually fairy-lights too, which look really nice in the evening. I feel like this small grid display is a space where all of my loves and passions are displayed in a vibrant and artistic way.

Lights



I picked up a colour-changing light-bulb a few months back and its another of my favourite purchases. While it may not look as visually-pleasing than those beautiful vintage light-bulbs when off, it's so bold and makes the room look beautiful when switched on. I can change the colour and intensity via an app on my phone and I absolutely love it. I bought the marble, copper and black lamp stand on eBay and I'm a huge fan of the industrial style of it.



I also grabbed a fun little rainbow neon light from eBay, and it sits on my bedside table, as shown at the start of the post. I'd seen these type of lights floating around on gift websites and decided I needed one. It's pretty bright, and adds a lovely glow to the room. I also have some battery-powered fairy lights on my shelf and on my grid notice-board as previously mentioned, both of which were gifted to me over Christmas and I think really add to the ambient feel I like to have in my room in the evenings.


I'm so happy with how my room has turned out and am also super pleased I managed to change pretty-much everything without breaking the bank. I feel like I've officially grown up now that I'm getting excited by, and spending my hard-earned money plant-stands, light-bulbs and shelf-brackets - but, it's made me fall back in love with a space which I spend alot of time in, so it's completely worth it.

While I think I'm done with buying decor for my room, there's no doubt I'll take trips to HomeSense and H&M Home and find more pretty things to fill the space with - that's if I have any space left.

Here's some great websites I've found for homeware and decor (that aren't eBay or Amazon)

Desenio  - Great for prints and artwork
Scandanavian Design Centre - this is where I bought my Lisa Bengstton prints from
Perspex Sheet UK - perfect for made-to-measure perspex, like my topper for my dressing table
HomeSense - sadly, no online store but find your nearest store by the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment